The Faculty of Education at Trakia University was founded by a Decree of the Council of Ministers of 03.07.2002 (Decree of the Council of Ministers No.135 / State Gazette issue 67/12.07.2002). It is the successor of the best pedagogical traditions in the country and the city, which date back to the Bulgarian Revival.
By a decision of the National Evaluation and Accreditation Agency (NEAA), dated 27.10.2015, the Faculty of Education received program accreditation for the professional field 1.2. “Pedagogy” for five years.
By decision of the Standing Committee of Pedagogical Sciences from 30.06.2015, a positive evaluation was given of a Project for opening the Professional Field 1.3. "Pedagogy of Training in …" for Bachelor's degree in Pedagogy in the specialty “Pedagogy of Information Technology Education” at the Faculty of Education at Trakia University.
In the rating system of the higher education institutions in the Republic of Bulgaria, the Faculty of Education always takes one of the top places.
Main priorities in the activity of the faculty:
• Building a foundation of pedagogical, psychological and general humanitarian knowledge;
• Enhanced language learning and intercultural interaction;
• Developing high computer literacy and widespread use of ICT in education;
• Focusing on key competences for lifelong learning;
• Inclusive education and active social inclusion;
• Interdisciplinary research and innovation in education for smart growth.
THE FACULTY OF EDUCATION – CONTEMPORARY PROJECTIONS
The development of the Faculty of Education is in line with the modern policies and EU integration strategies for an educational institution providing a high quality of education oriented towards building a foundation of pedagogical and psychological knowledge and competencies in the context of continuous education.
The faculty has the most important thing – a suitable environment. It is a community of scientists and their associates – students, PhD students and employees. It is an environment saturated with "living bearers" of good pedagogical experience, in which everyone learns from each other and everyone learns together with others; an environment in which team experience is stored and transmitted over the years; an environment of conscious interconnection between all those working for the development of the Faculty. Such profound interdependence leads to the achievement of high results and there are sufficient prerequisites for their validation and improvement – continuity in management, validation and upgrading of what has already been achieved, as well as sustainable development.
The main structural units of the Faculty are the following departments:
• Pedagogical and Social Sciences;
• Preschool and Primary School Pedagogy;
• Language Learning and Information Technologies.
The academic staff of the faculty includes 45 teachers with or without an academic rank, all with high qualification, 4 of whom have a Doctor of Science degree and 31 have a PhD degree. The Faculty of Education also attracts guest lecturers from leading higher education institutions in the country and abroad.
The following faculty centres have well-established educational functions:
• English Language and Information Centre;
• Centre for Continuing Education (postgraduate qualification of pedagogical staff);
• Doctoral Center;
• Art Center;
• Centre for Counseling, Diagnosis and Therapeutic Practices for Children at Risk;
• Pedagogical Innovation Center.